Sunday, January 11, 2009

Scripture Sunday: Haggai

{ Happy first anniversary, Elisa and Josh! }

While looking at the Old Testament books on lds.org today, I tried to find a short book I randomly read recently, and read a different random book instead. I really liked some of the phrases/verses in Haggai about the importance of having a temple, a house of God. These are some of the parts I liked in the two fairly short chapters (I removed the verse numbers):

In the second year . . . came the word of the Lord by Haggai the prophet unto Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, saying, Thus speaketh the Lord of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that the Lord’s house should be built. . . . Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways. Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build the house; and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith the Lord. . . . Then spake Haggai the Lord’s messenger in the Lord’s message unto the people, saying, I am with you, saith the Lord. And the Lord stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, and the spirit of all the remnant of the people; and they came and did work in the house of the Lord of hosts, their God . . .
Also, I found information (here) on the Draper Utah LDS temple. It will be open for public tours starting this week. I am excited for all the people of other faiths who will get a taste of what it's like, and maybe feel the Spirit for the first time. The Draper Temple dedications will take place March 20 (the day I received my endowment in '04 and found out I was pregnant in '06) through March 22.


Our Heavenly Father's plan and laws have existed longer than this earth has. He has always commanded His children to build temples. To me they are about the worth of each and every soul, whether living or dead, and his or her salvation. I am so grateful for the peace and other blessings the Lord has given to me through the temple ordinances. As long as we're faithful and obedient, my husband and I can be together for eternity! Thinking of this is one way I feel the great love of my Heavenly Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!