Sunday, September 28, 2008

Scripture Sunday

Today my neighbor Tom saw my daughter and me in dresses and he asked her, "Did you go to church?" I asked if he is a church-goer (finally getting more information, after knowing him for two years). He is not, but he was raised Catholic and he is reading the New Testament right now. He is the friendliest person in our building. I remembered that I love John 16:33, so I read some of that chapter tonight:

29 His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.
33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

I do feel peace when I read verse 33. Because Christ was able to overcome the world, we have reason to have hope and to be cheerful. He understands every one of our tribulations. What stood out to me, though, was verse 31. Do I now believe -- right now? Have I renewed today my testimony that He suffered for my sins so I don't have to, and that He is a resurrected, living God?

I want to study the Bible more, to be more familiar with it. I know daily scripture study makes a person's life better. Just this week D and I were talking about this quote that applies (and shows that even leaders of our Church are imperfect). Here's the quote:

“I find that when I get casual in my relationships with divinity and when it seems that no divine ear is listening and no divine voice is speaking, that I am far, far away. If I immerse myself in the scriptures the distance narrows and the spirituality returns. I find myself loving more intensely those whom I must love with all my heart and mind and strength, and loving them more, I find it easier to abide their counsel.”
-Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball (2006), 67


1 comment:

Leave some love!