Sunday, January 23, 2011

scripture sunday: "for gladness"

In my opinion, section 19 is one of the best in the whole Doctrine and Covenants (a book of scripture containing revelations from the Lord to modern prophets). I love the Savior's explanation of His commandments -- which are for our benefit and joy in this life and beyond! -- that we pray, repent, and preach repentance. Jesus Christ said that He suffered for every person, so "that they might not suffer if they would repent" (verse 16). I am so grateful for His sacrifice.

My love for verse 23 has increased over the years:

                   Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me.


Doctrine and Covenants section 19, verses 38-41 (39 is my very favorite in this section): 
    Pray always, and I will pour out my Spirit upon you, and great shall be your blessing—yea, even more than if you should obtain treasures of earth and corruptibleness to the extent thereof.

    Behold, canst thou read this without rejoicing and lifting up thy heart for gladness?

    Or canst thou run about longer as a blind guide?

    Or canst thou be humble and meek, and conduct thyself wisely before me? Yea, come unto me thy Savior. Amen.

Can we be humble and meek and conduct ourselves wisely? Yes, if we come unto our Savior. I believe that Jesus communicates all of these things to individuals. Scripture study is personal, and I hope you don't mind me being personal with this kind of blog post. I want to be better at feasting on the scriptures and prayer every day. I know that that is how I learn of Him, have peace in Him, and have the Holy Ghost poured out upon me. I want to be guided (by someone who knows much more than I do), not blind. I love the blessings Heavenly Father has already given me that are more valuable than treasures of the world. When I read and ponder D&C 19, my heart is lifted up for gladness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!