Sunday, October 11, 2009

Scripture Sunday: life eternal

I absolutely love John 17:3.
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
I was recalling that verse recently, and last night I started this blog post. Then in the car today I listened to an old BYU devotional on the radio, and the speaker quoted John 17:3. (J. Reuben Clark Jr. gave this devotional address during the same decade that our house* was built!)

The whole seventeenth chapter of John is a beautiful prayer -- Jesus communicating with His Father. Latter-day Saint scripture (the book of Moses) tells us that God's "work . . . [is] to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." Therefore, God's work is to help us know Him and our savior Jesus Christ. I know that as we do our best to follow Christ's example of service and obedience to the commandments, we do know better what He and Heavenly Father are like. I know that God wants to give us eternal life, which is not just living forever; it's the kind of life He lives. I know we cannot fully comprehend it right now. I feel His love for me, and I hope I will live with Him again.


_____________________________________

*Yes, we're buying our first house, and if everything works out we will close this Friday! We're only doing this with D gone because he's seen it several times before, and I am his power of attorney. This was a good opportunity and a good time for us. We had planned on house-hunting less than a year from now anyway. Through the Internet, I showed him lots of pictures of this five-bedroom home. It currently belongs to one of our best friends (and his wife and kids). They may rent it back from us for a few weeks. We love D's parents but are also excited to be in our own place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!