Sunday, December 28, 2008

Scripture Sunday: Isaiah

I am far from being an expert on the book of Isaiah, but I've had two of his passages in my mind recently.

Isaiah 53:3-5 (also quoted in Mosiah chapter 14 in the Book of Mormon):
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Isaiah 1:18:
Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.


All of Isaiah 53 is about Jesus Christ being sinless and offering His soul to save sinners. Like my former roommate Shelley, I love verse five, in a way that is hard to explain. My perfect Savior didn't deserve to be wounded the way He was or to be crucified with wicked men. Somehow His sufferings can erase my iniquities. With His stripes I am healed and purified (forgiven, made white, spotless) if I accept His atonement, continually repent, and strive to follow Him. I will be forever grateful that He
felt everything that I feel and therefore understands me.

As I walked outside the other day I saw how beautifully white all of our fresh snow was. I thought, "though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow." I don't fully comprehend it, but it is true. Jesus was born (into the world that He created) to save us. "
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." "[T]hen cometh the Son of God to redeem all those who shall believe on his name."

We can have hope because He came to fulfill His Father's plan, and He kept that promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!