Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Independence Day celebrations

July 3: We went to a school that has free music and fireworks.

(I love my girl in this reversible hat!)
We'd been to the celebration before with my in-laws. We decided we wanted to go there this year and invite people to sit and eat KFC with us. Besides us, our group consisted of my mom and younger brother, my sister and her husband, D's dad and two sisters, and two old friends of D's family. We also ended up sitting right next to a family in our ward. D and I met their daughter who used to be in my sister's singles ward. There were tons of people there. The best part of the night was my little girl saying "wow" over and over as she watched the fireworks. It was funny that her attention span was shorter than the fireworks. The song God Bless the U.S.A. (the one that says "I'm Proud to be an American") brought tears to my eyes, like it typically does. I have a lot of history to learn, but I am very grateful for the people who have lived and died to preserve our freedoms. Our country has problems, but it is the best country in the world.

~~~~

On July 4th D had to work (starting around 5 pm) but first we enjoyed our second annual ward 4th of July Breakfast. He helped with the flag raising, so we were there from 7:30 until almost 11:00. Alex Boye, who is in our ward, sang the national anthem. The Primary kids decorate their bikes with red, white and blue (paper, ribbon, beads, etc) and ride down the sidewalk in a little parade. Shboogoo borrowed somebody's toddler tricycle for that. I can't believe we didn't get a picture of the three of us!

In the evening my neighbor took this one for me.

Two years ago:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!