- What did labor and birth feel like for you?
- What made labor more or less painful for you?
- If you have experienced labors with and without Pitocin, how would you describe the difference between the two?
I have been in labor before but I don't think I can describe very well what it felt like. I know that for me the contractions (I like the word "surges") were more uncomfortable than painful. I breathed through them, and using counter pressure and a birth ball helped. It seems so long ago -- almost 31 months -- but in about two weeks I'll do it again, and hopefully I will experience reaching full dilation and pushing as well. After this baby comes out, I'm determined to write as much about it as I can while it is fresh in my memory. (I still plan on writing what I remember of Shboogoo's birth story. Having my doula's notes will be a big help.)
I'm getting so close to my due date; it should be obvious that this topic is on my mind and that I am excited. I have spent a lot of time getting ready for my VBAC and our new baby. I attended a "summer intensive" Preparation for Childbirth class for about 10 hours this weekend. The teacher gave us some wonderful handouts and ideas for birth plans, coping, etc. By the way, I have had some Braxton Hicks recently. I will have my cervix checked for the first time on Monday. I will keep you posted! [In the poll on the right you can predict our baby's gender.]
I would love to read your answers to the questions above. I also want to know:
- Did you eat while you were in labor?
- Is there anything you regret doing or would do differently? (For example, my neighbor wanted her epidural stopped after just 5 minutes. It hadn't worn off, so pushing was difficult to feel, and she wishes she hadn't had the epidural at all.)
- What positions did you use for labor? For birth?
- Did you tear? If not, what do you think prevented you from tearing?